What is the history of the Von Siebenthals?

Our kingdom is inside us.
We gave our name to the place and the river.
von Siebenthal means the valley of the seven. Our ancestors chose this place as a shelter for our lineage.
There are seven valleys, seven springs
and our coat of arms has seven units, to keep the dragon, we all have inside us, under seven locks.
This dragon is the same of the island Bornholm, in the Baltic’s sea.
We are Burgunds, the first christians of Europe, converted by the son of the widow of Naïm, the first saint Materne, year 50 AC.
We are the roots of the valser’s civilisation, known under the name Walsers.






Vauuruile :

or Vauville: Leland gives the name twice as Waville. This family was a branch of the Barons of Briquebec (Wiffen, Histoire Russell, i. 6), and took its name from Vauville, near Valognes, where they had a castle. “Richard de Vauville appears in the ancient list of knights, who crossed over with the Conqueror.[102] The Vauville family had also possessions in Septvents, or Septvaus. The name of this place affords a curious example of the fact, that in the black-letter days, the old scribes could not always be certain of their own writing. One branch of the family read it as Sept vans, and gave seven vans, or winnowing vans, as their bearing: while another branch read the word as Sept vaus or de septem vallibus, and bore seven hieroglyphics which stood for valleys according to the conventionalism of the Heralds’ College.”—Sir Francis Palgrave. M. de Gerville, in his Anciens Chateaux de la Manche, states that they were Lords of Septvaus (near Caumont), and as we have already heard, they constantly bore the name—a name roughly handled by copyists, for “the corruptions of it exceed in number those of any other patronymic that we remember. In Latin, it is generally rendered Septemvannis, and sometimes Septemvallibus; but in Norman-French or English we find it written Setuans, Septvans, Septvaus, Seavaus, Sevanz, Sephans, Sevance, Sevaunces, Senantz, Cennants, and even Setwentz and Setwetz!”—J. R. Planche. He gives a detailed account of one branch of this house in “A Corner of Kent,” which I have here abbreviated.

They were first seated at Aldington in Kent, where Robert de Septvans, the husband of Emma, co-heir of William FitzHelte, was living before 1180. His son and namesake was twelve years old in 1185, and possessed some property in Essex, where we find an Isilia de Septvans—possibly the wife of Robert II.—a benefactress of St. John’s Abbey, Colchester, in the twelfth century. Three more Roberts succeeded him; the last, a knight of whom there are many notices in the parliamentary records, died in 1306, and lies buried at Chartham. “His often engraved sepulchral brass affords a fine specimen of the ailettes in fashion at that period, and displays on them, as well as on the surcoat, the winnowing fans, which were most probably at first seven in number for Sept-vans, but reduced, in compliance with a later practice, to three.”—Ibid. Then followed five Sir Williams; two of them Sheriffs of Kent. One of these, in 1366, petitioned for an inquisition probatio aetatis, having been “led away and counselled by Sir Nicholas de Loveyne of Penshurst and others to alienate his lands and tenements to them, he not being at that time of full age, as had been falsely represented.” It was in fact proved that the deluded lad was not even then more than nineteen. The elder line terminated in 1448 with his son, whose heiress married Sir William Fogg of Repton.

There were several other branches, variously derived from the parent stock. One ended with John Septvans of Ash, Esquire of the Body to Henry VI., in 1453; another, first called At Cheker from one of their manors, adopted the name of Harfleet, either again from a manor, or, as the story runs, for brave deeds done under Henry V. at the siege of Harfleur, called Harfleet by the English. The representatives of this name were numerous; but they have all died out or merged into obscurity; the estates at Ash passed away in the seventeenth century through Aphra Harfleet to the St. Legers of Doneraile; and their monuments in the church alone are left.

Aldington-Septvans and Milton-Septvans retain the name in Kent; the latter having been, according to Hasted, their principal seat in the county.


 102. ↑ The Dives Roll gives “Guillaume de Vauville.”

Family Tree Maker’s Genealogy Site: User Home Pages: The …

Johannes de (of) Septem Vallibus moved from the Simmental valleys to … Johannes de (of)Septem Vallibus gave 100 pounds to this chapel on July 1, 1511. …
familytreemaker.genealogy.com/ users/s/i/e/Charles-Siebenthal-ID/index.html – 18k

Latin Forms of English Surnames

de Septem Vallibus: de Setvaux. de Septem Vannis: Setvans. Serlo: Searle. de Seuecurda: Seacourt. Sewallus: Sewell. de Sicca Villa: de Sechevile, …
comp.uark.edu/~mreynold/recint6.htm – 44k –

Septem Vallibus. de la Vallée des sept sources. Sybenthal, alliées et amies. Les armoiries nous demandent, depuis plus de 1’000 ans, de garder prisonnier le …

www.de-siebenthal.com/site04.htm – 65k –

What is the history of the Von Siebenthals?

  das Siebenthal (transformé en) Simmenthal par les occupants bernois (dans les 
chartes, Septem vallis et Siebenthal ; — dont la source est aux 
Sieben Brunnen ou aux sept sources : ...


Bornholm & Hammerhuus
Bornholms (amt in Dänemark), Wappen (1942)

  1. Nouveau dictionnaire géographique universel – Résultats Google Recherche de Livres

    J. Mac Carthy – 1824
    C’est l’établissement le plus septentrional, de l’Europe civilisée. Pop. !o hab. La t. N
    . 70. 39. 1. E. aa. 8. Hammerhuus , forteresse de l’île de Bornholm
  2. La plus grande forteresse du Nord

    Hammerhuus, Schloß auf der dänischen Insel Bornholm, sehr alt u. jetzt eine Ruine; ist bes. dadurch merkwürdig geworden, daß es JahrhunderteGegenstand des Streites zwischen den dänischen Königen u. den Bischöfen von Lund gewesen ist. Wiederholt ist es als Staatsgefängniß benutzt worden; von 1710 an war daselbst Christ. Dippel (Democritos) gefangen. hindurch ein

Holm, éminence, colline; petite île et particulièrement petite 

île située dans une rivière ou dans un lac ; presqu'île ; terrain 
   près de l'eau ; chantier. Ce nom a été rattaché au suéd. hol> 
angl. hill, colline, qui dérivent de hoch, jad. ho h, haut ; on 
peut le regarder comme une forme de Helm [casque, couverture 

en voûte, abri ; couvert, protection] ; de sorte que Holm aurait 
   signifié un lieu abrité, entouré par les eaux) (2) : Bornholm 
(nom que Ton suppose contracté de Burgundar-holm, îles des

Burgondes), Drottningholm (île de la reine ; drottning, reine; 

île près de Stockholm ; — suéd. droit, roi ; v. P., p. 69), Fiat- 
   holm (utpole plana : platt, suéd. flat, dan. flad, plat); Stock- 
holm (qui fut d'abord bâtie dans une île [holm], auprès d'un 
détroit ; en suéd. staket, stak, détroit ; d'où Stakholm et puis 

Stockholm = île du détroit). Cette ville occupe aujourd'hui sept 
   îlots ( sieben Holm), et comme elle est bâtie sur pilotis et que les îlots sont joints 
par des ponts en bois, on a dit que c'est apparemment de ces 

pièces de bois qu'elle tire son nom (Stock, bâton ; tige; souche, 
   tronc; Staeke, palissade; en bas ail. stock, digue). 


(1) Lescrannoges (irland. erannog, habitation ; bateau : crann, 
arbre, mât ; barre, pilotis) sont des îlots pilotés, des îlots lacustres, 

  souvent immergés en hiver, mais que. l'on a exhaussés au moyen 
 de pilotages, d'empierrements pour les rendre habitables en tonte 
saison; cfr. irland. ogh, pointe, coin; lieu saint, sacré; irl. et 
gaél. uagh, manx oghc, ooig, comique ogo, gallois ogov, ogof, 

antre, abri souterrain. Tous ces mots indiquaient plus particuliè- 
   rement des « habitations dans une île artificielle d'un lac, » et 
ensuite un lieu abrité : Greenoge (irland. lieu exposé au soleil : 
grian, soleil), Fearnoge = Farnagh (lieu des aunes : fearna, 

aune; — cfr. Ferney). 
(2) Toutefois, l'idée fondamentale, exprimée par ce mot, 
paraît être celle de « terrain qui s'élève sur l'eau. » Holm est 
ainsi apparenté à un mot slave qui se présente sous les formes 

golm, chlum, chlom, et qui signifie élévation de terre, exhausse- 
   ment, éminence. Le nom de la ville de Culm nous présente une 
forme de la même racine. Près de cette ville, on trouve Côlln 
(jadis Colno), qui nous en offre une autre forme. C'est croyons- 

nous avec raison qu'on a expliqué par la même racine le nom de 
   Côlln, partie de Berlin, île formée par deux bras de la Sprée. On 
a traduit et expliqué Côlln par Cologne (Colonia), parce qu'Albert 
l'Ours peupla ce pays au moyen de colons chrétiens qu'il fit venir 
des bords du Rhin et des Pays-Bas.

Gotland: l'île de l'agneau sauveur des hommes.
Gotland vapen.svg
Les Gutes (terme actuel) sont les habitants de l’île de Gotland, la plus grande île de Suède située au milieu de la mer Baltique, et la racine est parfaitement identique à celle de Goth. Alors que le terme Geats a disparu comme nom d’éthnie, celui des Gutes existe encore comme nom identitaire pour les habitants de cette île.
Selon la saga des Guts, l’île fut colonisée par un chef nommé Tjälvar et elle raconte comment les Guts ont quitté l’île pour s’installer dans le sud de l’Europe. Elle raconte aussi qu’au VIe siècle, la tribu s’est soumise volontairement à la protection du roi de Suède.
Dès le VIIe siècle, les Guts sillonnent les mers et les fleuves pour commercer avec l’Orient et l’Occident. Par les fleuves de Russie, ils atteignent la mer Caspienne et la Mer Noire et font des affaires avec Constantinople et même Bagdad : ce sont les mêmes chemins que les Varègues.
Par leur commerce, les Guts acquièrent fortune, culture et connaissance des arts. Au XIe siècle ils adoptent la religion chrétienne, et construisent de nombreuses églises. À partir du milieu du XIVe siècle, la peste et la guerre peu à peu ruinent leur pays.
Pendant toute la période historique, l’île a appartenu tantôt à la Suède, tantôt au Danemark. Aujourd’hui c’est une île suédoise qui garde une identité culturelle propre.

Hauptinsel Helgoland (vorne) un

L’archipel d’Heligoland (Helgoland en allemand ; bas-allemand ancien pour terre sacrée) se trouve au sud-est de la mer du Nord. Il a appartenu successivement au Danemark, puis à la Grande-Bretagne, qui le cède à l’Allemagne en 1890 en vertu du traité Heligoland-Zanzibar.
Composé de plusieurs petites îles, dont aucune ne dépasse un kilomètre carré de superficie ; la superficie totale de l’archipel est de 4,2 km². Peuplé d’environ 1650 habitants, il fait partie du land de Schleswig-Holstein et, plus précisément, du District de Pinneberg.
Base sous-marine durant les deux guerres mondiales, l’île principale fut le siège de la plus puissante explosion conventionnelle (6000 t de TNT utilisées), lors de la destruction des installations par les Britanniques en 1946.

Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg [Bearbeiten]

Am 18. April 1947 zerstörten die Briten mit der bis heute größten nichtnuklearen Sprengung der Geschichte die militärischen Bunkeranlagen der Insel. Rund 4.000 Torpedoköpfe, fast 9.000 Wasserbomben und über 91.000 Granaten verschiedensten Kalibers, insgesamt 6700 Tonnen Sprengstoff, waren im U-Boot-Bunker sowie im Tunnellabyrinth an der Südspitze des Felsens und bei den Küstenbatterien gestapelt; pünktlich um 13 Uhr wurde die riesige Explosion von Bord des Kabellegers Lasso ausgelöst. Ein gewaltiger Feuerstrahl und Tonnen Gesteins schossen in den Himmel. Der Rauchpilz sei neun Kilometer in die Höhe gestiegen. Aus dem Material der gesprengten Südspitze entstand das Mittelland, der U-Boot-Bunker im Südhafen wurde zerstört. Zur in Kauf genommenen[10] kompletten Zerstörung der Insel kam es nicht. Die Hafenanlagen und Küstenschutzmauern blieben intakt, auch der Zivilschutzbunker wurde verschont und kann heute besichtigt werden.
Bis 1952 blieb Helgoland militärisches Sperrgebiet und Bombenabwurfplatz für die britische Luftwaffe. Während dieser Zeit wurde die Insel von den britischen Soldaten zynisch Hell-go-land (das Land, das zur Hölle geht) genannt.[11]
Die evakuierten Helgoländer starteten mehrere politische Initiativen zur Wiederbesiedlung der Insel: Im März 1948 wurden die Vereinten Nationen angerufen. Es folgten Appelle an den Papst, das britische Unterhaus und die neu gebildete Bundesregierung.

Briefmarke (1952) anlässlich der Rückgabe Helgolands

Am 20. Dezember 1950 besetzten die zwei Heidelberger Studenten René Leudesdorff und Georg von Hatzfeld zusammen mit dem damals in Heidelberg Geschichte dozierenden Publizisten Hubertus zu Löwenstein[12] die Insel und hissten die deutsche Flagge, die Flagge der Europäischen Bewegung und die Flagge Helgolands. Dies löste eine breite Bewegung zur Rettung Helgolands aus. Nachdem der Deutsche Bundestag im Januar 1951 einstimmig die Freigabe der Insel gefordert hatte, gaben die Briten am 1. März 1952 Helgoland wieder an die Bundesrepublik Deutschland zurück. Der Bevölkerung wurde erlaubt, wieder auf ihre Insel zurückzukehren.
Nach dem Wiederaufbau im einheitlichen Stil der Zeit leben die Helgoländer vom Fremdenverkehr und Kurbetrieb, Näheres im Abschnitt Tourismus. Helgoland wurde 1962 als Nordseeheilbad staatlich anerkannt.

Voir aussi [modifier]

Commons-logo.svg Wikimedia Commons propose des documents multimédia libres sur Heligoland.

Traduction »